We continue our discussion of Leibniz this week by looking at how his theory of the complete determination of everything (i.e. that everything has a reason, ground, or explanation) and his view of freedom.
- On Contingency
- The Source of Contingent Truths
- Excerpts from the Letters to Arnauld
- Letter to Coste on Freedom
- On Freedom
- On Freedom & Possibility
All the Leibniz readings can be found here.
- Adams, Leibniz, ch. 1
- Lin, “Rationalism and Necessitarianism”^*
- Rutherford, “Leibniz’s Principle of Intelligibility”
- Newlands, “Leibniz and the Ground of Possibility”
All the recommended readings can be found here.